Sunday, May 10, 2009

Riding With Mom

One of my earliest memories is riding in the folding child seat on the back of my mother's bicycle, alongside my older sister on the back of my father's bicycle. My heart leapt when I saw this post by Henry of Bakfiets en Meer a few months ago. It seems we were born in the same year and share the same back-of-bike memory. Unfortunately, I didn't even own a bike at the time my daughter was small enough to ride on back, so my daughter missed out on that wonderful experience. Hopefully, she will have enough happy memories of riding next to her mother to make up for it.

Recently I discovered this nostalgic "home movie" on Vimeo, which looks to be about 10 years after my back seat days had ended (at that time I would have been riding my red-white-and-blue banana seat bike). I only wish they could have handed the movie camera to the child so I could really relive that unique feeling of motion from the back of the bike.

Bike Ride from Gobias Media on Vimeo.


Happy Mother's Day, Mom, and thanks for the memories!

2 comments:

  1. What a magnificently beautiful video! Thank you so much for posting it. Alas, my daughter, while generally quite exuberant about and around the bicycles, is not yet quite so happy when she's actually in the backseat or the trailer taking a ride. I'm trusting that it will grow on her in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! My daughter didn't really appreciate bikes until she was nearly 8. Hopefully your daughter will come around sooner than that.

    BTW, I've discovered that this video was filmed in 1986, which means that I was no longer riding my banana seat bike, but driving the first car I ever bought. Okay, so I was 10 years off.

    ReplyDelete